Monday, March 08, 2010

How Do They Do It?

I’ve been reading a lot of new blogs lately.  For reasons it doesn’t take Freud to figure out, I’ve long been obsessed with all things medical, and lately I’ve been getting my fix through the blogs of ER doctors and nurses.  Besides the similarity in subject matter, I’ve noticed another trend among these bloggers: more than half of them are posting more than 400 entries a year.

How do they do it?

These are people with full-time jobs.  And not just full-time jobs, but hectic, full-time jobs -- the kind that keep you on your feet the entire time you’re there, where lunch and bathroom breaks are rare.  Many have families and, if they’re not embellishing their profiles, lead active lives outside of the time they spend in the ER.  How do they manage to compose and upload more than a blog post per day when I -- unencumbered by either employment, bi-ped children, or a life outside of my house -- have to work at making a dozen posts a month?

There’s an old adage that says if you need to get something done, delegate it to someone who’s busy.  Perhaps it’s the same with blogging -- those who have the least amount of free time are the best at keeping their blogs up-to-date.

Maybe it’s because they have more to write about than I do.  They go to interesting and challenging jobs every day where they talk to coworkers and patients and their families.  My gimpy body, on the other hand, keeps me trapped at home, talking mostly to the HipHubby, the cats, and random strangers on the Internet.

It couldn’t hurt that they have two fully functioning hands with which to type, and brains (presumably) free from the fog caused by narcotic and antispasmodic medications.  I was once a clear headed, two-handed typist, and I can tell you that combination of assets greatly speeds up one’s ability to string together a series of coherent thoughts and put them in writing.

So wait -- am I really saying that the reason these other bloggers are able to publish more than one entry a day and I’m not is because they’re vibrant, clear-headed, able-bodied professionals and I’m an addle-brained, housebound gimp with no life?

Maybe some questions are better left unanswered.

1 comment:

blogauthor said...

What blogs do you read? I'm curious .... and you know me over on CC, sent you a msg recently about facebook.